Doctoral Program in
International Politics (DPIP)
School of International Relations and Public Affairs
Fudan University, Shanghai, China
1. Introduction of SIRPA
Fudan University is a comprehensive university based in Shanghai, China’s most internationalized metropolitan city. It is a top university in the world, ranked at the 31st place in the QS World University Rankings (2022). Its campus hosts the biggest group of international students in China.
The School of International Relations and Public Affairs (SIRPA) is a leading school in political and public affairs. Its Politics ranked at the 35th place in the QS World University Rankings by subject (2021). Supported by its interdisciplinary structure, strong international publications and exchanges, faculty resources and frontier research, SIRPA has been running several English-taught MA programs, including Chinese Politics and Diplomacy, Europe and Asia in Global Affairs (double degree with Science Po Paris), International Public Policy, as well as one English-taught Ph.D. program in International Politics.
2. Introduction of the Program
The English-instructed Doctoral Program in International Politics, known as DPIP, was established in 2013. The principal goal of the program is preparing scholars and practitioners with a solid theoretical foundation, rigorous research skills, and profound knowledge of both history and contemporary issues in the vitally important fields of public and international affairs. The program mainly enrolls international students, and all its academic courses are taught in English. The curriculum and doctoral dissertation work in the program center around the following thematic areas: International Relations Theory, International Political Economy, International Security, Great-power Diplomacy, Chinese Foreign Policy, International Organization, Comparative Politics, BRICS Study, Global Governance, Religion and International Relations, etc.
Applicants should have master’s degrees in related fields. The DPIP normally requires at least three years of work on courses and dissertation. The faculty members have diverse academic backgrounds, and many of them received PhD degrees from world-renowned universities and have rich international teaching experiences and impressive academic records.
The program admits degree students.
Applicants should send the following application documents (2 sets, place documents of each set in right order as follows) to the international office of SIRPA, Fudan University. *Due to the effect of covid-19 on global logistics, we currently do not need hard-copy application materials. Applicants do not have to mail them until further notices to be given.
In terms of specific requirements for documents used in the online application system or hard copies to mail to us, please follow the guideline for application on the website of International Students Office: (https://iso.fudan.edu.cn/isoenglish/
(1) Printed online barcode Application Form with personal signature and a photo.
(2) Copy of valid passport identification page, and it should be an ordinary passport and be valid until Sept. 30th. 2023.
(3)Certificates of at least one bachelor’s and one master’s degree from an accredited international institute in a relevant discipline. Students must submit the documents in the original language as well as an official or certified English translation for each document. Students from countries in which English is the official language of instruction only need to submit the English copies.
(4) Transcripts of all post-secondary (after high school) education. Students must submit transcripts in the original language as well as an official or certified English translation for each foreign language transcript. Students from countries in which English is the official language of instruction need to submit only the English copies. A cumulative grade point average (GPA) equivalent to at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (B grade) in undergraduate and postgraduate coursework is required.
(5) Statement of purpose. Describe in your statement of purpose: your reasons for applying to the Ph.D. program and your preparation for this field of study; your research and study interests; future career plans and other aspects of your background and interests which may aid the program in evaluating your aptitude and motivation for Ph.D. study. The statement requires above 3000 words written in English.
(6) Writing sample. No longer than 20 pages, in English. It can be your previous research (published or unpublished) or your future research plan, which is to show your ability of academic writing.
(7) Two recommendation letters. The letters should be submitted online or hard copies in sealed envelopes. If the evaluators choose to mail hard-copy recommendations to our program, students are still required to enter the names and email addresses of evaluators on the online application.
(8) Evidence of English language proficiency. Applicants whose native language is not English must submit official scores of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) unless they received a bachelor's or postgraduate degree from an institution in which the official language of instruction is English and he or she was enrolled in that school for at least two years. The program requires a minimum score of 90 on the internet-based TOEFL test or 7 on the IELTS test.
4. Tuition and Scholarships
For international degree students in the program, the annual tuition is RMB 100,000.
Students supported by Chinese government scholarship will be waived the tuition.
1. We strongly encourage applicants to apply for the Chinese Government Scholarship while applying for admissions into our doctoral program. The Chinese Government Scholarship are usually not open for applications from current students in the program. Therefore, you are advised to apply for it before coming to China.
2. The applicant should apply online (http://admission.iso.fudan.edu.cn/) as a self-support student first.
3. Application documents for scholarship can be submitted together with admission documents.
4. First get acceptance from the University, then an applicant may have the opportunity to get the scholarship.
5. Fudan University also offers Fudan Student Fellowship annually to second-year and third-year international students based on a campus-wide competition. SIRPA also presents Excellence in Study Scholarship and awards to student each year in October. In addition, SIRPA provide financial support for students to participate in international academic conferences and other activities, subject to SIRPA’s relevant funding policies.
Accommodation at Fudan Campus
An on-campus International Students Dormitory is available. Please check the website of International Student Office for further information.
5. Degree and Requirements
Students must complete a minimum of 29 credits of courses.In order to fulfill the course requirements, students must take all required public courses (10 credits), required courses (14 credits), and elective courses (5 credits).
Besides completing coursework, students must write a dissertation and pass the oral defense. Students should publish at least 2 academic articles in international journals or present papers of good quality at international academic conferences during their doctoral study.
Students must also successfully complete a comprehensive exam at the beginning of the third semester.
Public courses (10 credits)
EMAP620002: Political Development in Modern China (3 credits)
EMAP630096: Chinese Society: Past and Present (3 credits)
Chinese Languages I (2 credits)
Chinese Languages II (2 credits)
Required Courses (14 credits)
EMAP820004: International Politics and Theories (3 credits)
POLI630078: International Security and Strategies (3 credits)
EMAP820006: International Political Economy (3 credits)
EMAP820007: Research Design (3 credits)
POLI830039: Workshop on Academic Publications (2 credits)
Elective Courses (5 Credits, among which the 3 credits of ‘Research Methods’ is required)
POLI630016: Global Governance (2 credits)
EMAP820003: Contemporary Chinese Diplomacy (3 credits)
EMAP630052: China’s Foreign Economic Policies (2 credits)
EMAP630014: China-EU Relations (3 credits)
POLI630037: East Asian Politics (2 credits)
EMAP820001: Research Methods (3 credits, Required)
7. Contact Information
International Office of SIRPA
Address: Room 609, Wenke Building, 220 Handan Rd., Shanghai, China 200433
DPIP Program Director
Dr. Bowen Yu
Address: Room 605, Wenke Building, 220 Handan Rd., Shanghai, China, 200433
Please see more info provided by International Students Office (ISO), Fudan University on: http://iso.fudan.edu.cn/en/.